Archive and distribute your base on a removable media (CD-ROM)
|Language:||English • français|
Archiving your GeneWeb base on a permanent and removable media such as a CD-ROM protects your data and facilitates sharing withour requiring GeneWeb installation.
Archiving on a write-once media
Here are the steps necessary to construct an autonomous CD_ROM containing one or several bases and the necessary executables.
- Clean your base(s), in particular if you have made several updates.
- Launch update_nldb (notes index construction) and consanguinity computation if you have requested their display on personal pages (
show_consang=yes, see configuration)
- Connect to your base, and perform one relationship conputing (path between two individuals). The first occurence of a relationship computing computes a file (
tstab) which optimises further relationship computings. When on a CD-ROM, creation of this file would not be possible, but its absence does not prevent relationship computing from happening.
- Create a
Stagingfolder whose entire content will be written on the removable media. In this folder, place copies of:
gwdexecutable file (on windows systems, it usually has
.exeextension), and its
.argargument file. Make sure that this files has the proper executable property.
tags.txt(see tags) and
file.auth(see access) files needed for proper execution of your base.
- The bases folders whose extensions are
.gwfconfiguration file(s) associated with your bases.
- The folders
lang(language dictionnaries) and
src(text and image files). They must be located iin the same folder as gwd.
- In the
.gwfconfiguration file associated with your base(s), add the line
- If your base proposes portraits for persons, install the corresponding
.jpgfiles in a
images/mybasefolder (see example below).
- Important step: gwd builds several temporary files (in its working directory by default). If executed from a non writable media, a parameter must indicate where temporary files can be written. These files are of modest size, and can be deleted with no harm.
- This parameter is provided in the
gwd.argor in the command launching gwd (see example below):
- Before writing out to your CD-ROM, make a final test, verifying that while the
Stagingfolder is write protected, you still have complete functionality.
- Launching GeneWeb should be done by clicking on the appropriate
gwd.commandfile. Make sure that those files have the proper executable property.
- After launch, opening your base will be done by entering
http://127.0.0.1:2317/mybase1into the URL line of your browser, or by clicking on a link of a
start.htmlpage that you may have prepared.
- Write-out the content of
Stagingto the removable media.
Typicall structure for a multi-platform, multi-base distribution
This structure can obviously be simplified in the case of a single platform and/or single base.
- README # Some explanations for install and launch
- start.html # Some optionnal start file containing the various <a href="http://127.0.0.1:2317/mybase1">MyBase1</a> lines
- gwd.bat # gwd launch file
With the structure as above, the content of
gwd.command and the two
gwd.arg files should be:
Note that arguments can be passed to gwd either through the
.arg file, or through the launch command line.
-bd ../bases -wd c:\temp\geneweb
to be completed
Unix and Mac OSX
-bd ../bases -wd /tmp/geneweb
#!/bin/sh cd ./bases ../gw/gwd -hd ../gw -bd . -wd /tmp/geneweb