Installer GeneWeb sur un hébergement à compte multiples avec CGI
|Language:||English • français|
A shared hosting account have some restrictions :
- Daemon mode is forbidden, or cannot be activated. So you must use CGI mode.
- You must fit in the server environment : OS version, libraries, installed packages.
- The OS version is generally a stable version, but not the latest version.
Download a GeneWeb package
- File:btn lin.png made for recent Linux distribution
- Geneweb distribution made with Linux Debian Sarge, and currently running on 1&1 hosting.
Directories and files
The following applies to 1&1 hosting, and may differ on other hosting services:
Beside the CGI-root directory
|mybases||The bases directory|
In the CGI-root directory
|basesxg||An alternative bases directory|
|css||A copy of the gw/css directory. This directory is used by the Apache server.|
|gw||The gw directory of the Geneweb distribution
No change, except give the "exec" permission on the files gw/gwd, gw/gwsetup, and files used by gwsetup (gw/gwc*, gw/gwu,gw/consang, gw/update_nldb) The gwd.arg file is *empty*.
|gwenv||The gw directory of the Geneweb-5 distribution
On this web site, we can easily switch between the 2 last versions of GeneWeb.
|igw||The images directory for Geneweb-5|
|images||A directory where copies of gw/images/gwback.jpg, gw/images/gwlogo_bas.png|
|pub||A directory where are readable copies of the CGI scripts (this website is a demo site):|
|LICENSE.txt||Text of the standard GeneWeb license|
|LIZEZMOI.txt||Some instructions (in french)|
|README.txt||Some instructions (english)|
|START.htm||A web page to start GeneWeb|
|gw6.cgi||The CGI script which launches GenWeb-6|
|gw5.cgi||The CGI script which launches GenWeb-5|
|issue6.cgi||A test script which displays information about the environment of the GeneWeb-6 server (checks the gwd binary file : size and md5sum)|
|issue5.cgi||The same script, but for the GeneWeb-5 version|
Parameters of the CGI script
PWD=$(pwd) LNG="fr" GENEWEBSHARE=$PWD/gw GENEWEBDOC=$PWD/gw/doc GENEWEBDB=$PWD/../bases DAEMON=$GENEWEBSHARE/gwd LOGFILE=$GENEWEBDB/gw.log
Main settings :
- 1 get the CGI working directory
- 2 language for the user interface
- 3 where the executable files are
- 4 where the documentation sits !! (probably obsolete)
- 5 where the bases reside. This folder does not need to be accessible by the HTTP server.
- It must be protected either by a .htaccess file, or by a location out of the HTTP server scope.
- 6 although called DAEMON, gwd is not running un -daemon mode!!
- 7 a log file is useful when there are problems, but do not forget to delete it after downloading.
OPTIONS="-blang -robot_xcl 40,70 -max_clients 15 -conn_tmout 120 -min_disp_req 30 -images_url http://myserver.net/gw/images" # -allowed_tags $GENEWEBDB/tags.txt cd $GENEWEBSHARE $DAEMON -hd$GENEWEBSHARE -dd$GENEWEBDOC -bd$GENEWEBDB -lang$LNG -log$LOGFILE -cgi $OPTIONS 2>/dev/null
Options and launching
- 1 OPTIONS
|-robot_xcl||to protect your data from HTTrack or WebSite Extractor|
|-conn_tmout||for statistics on the bottom line|
|-images_url||icons and images are not sent by GeneWeb, but by your HTTP server (not CGI).|
|-allowed_tags||another useful option, if you use HTML tags not in default_good_tag_list|
- 3 cd $GENEWEBSHARE (probably not needed)
- 4 launch gwd execution