Web based inetrface
GeneWeb offers a general purpose web based interface to its users. Any standard browser can be used to access a GeneWeb base, either on your Personal computer or on a remote server.
After a fresh install and a launch of the appropriate start command (depending on your environment, see xxx), a simple startup page will propose to:
- open a GeneWeb base
- open the GeneWeb management tool
Opening a base will display a welcome page organized into:
- a search area used to explore the base
- a tool area for reports and tools
Individual pages display personal data associated with a person in a format which greatly depends on the template you have chosen. Most of the data on the page is "clickable" and will follow a link to another individual, or trigger the display of a list. Tools are provided in a format which depends on the GeneWeb version you are using:
- GeneWeb 5.02: a tool-box at the bottom of the page
- GeneWeb 6.08 and later: a pull-down cascaded menu bar at the top of the page
All data capture is performed through pages containing HTML forms organized into:
- zones (one person, one event, a note).
- fields (one or more lines where text can be entered).
- radio buttons
- pull-down menus