The gwsetup program
|Language:||English • français|
gwsetup is a program to create and maintain genealogy database(s) using a browser-based user interface instead of command lines in a terminal window.
The default port for gwsetup is 2316 and its welcome page is: http://localhost:2316/.
- under Windows, double click on
gwsetup.batavailable in the GeneWeb installation folder. A window should pop-up proposing a selection of languages and specifying the address at which gwsetup is available. Keep this window open as long as you wish to interact with gwsetup. You may minimise it with the “-” button in the top right corner of the window;
- under Linux, if you have installed GeneWeb using RPM package manager, you probably already have gwsetup running. Use the address provided at install time to manage your bases.
- if you have installed Geneweb under Unix or Linux or OSX through another method, you may launch gwsetup by entering
./gwsetupin a terminal window.
Warning: it is important to understand in which folders gwsetup and gwd find their informations, in particular the genealogy bases.
- gwd has an option (-bd) specifying where are the bases.
- gwsetup does not have the same option and find the bases in the current folder. One can use the following commands:
export BIN_DIR="folder where gwd and gwsetup lies" export BASE_DIR="folder where you wish to keep your bases" cd $BASE_DIR "$BIN_DIR/gwsetup" -gd "$BIN_DIR" -bindir "$BIN_DIR"
Once started, gwsetup offers, through a web interface, a variety of actions:
- consult bases, error reports and statistics
- save bases
- create bases
- Manage bases
- save and restore
- compute consanguinity
- update chronicle links
- the parameters for a base
- the parameters for the gwd service
- consult the documentation
Start options for gwsetup
\geneweb\distribution\gw>gwsetup -help Usage: gwsetup [options] where options are: -lang <string>: default lang -daemon : Unix daemon mode. -p <number>: Select a port number (default = 2316); > 1024 for normal users. -only <file>: File containing the only authorized address -gd <string>: gwsetup directory -bindir <string>: binary directory (default = value of option -gd)
- Download and install GeneWeb program under GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, FreeBSD; on Mac OS X, Linux or Windows using Docker; or in CGI mode behind a web server.
- Understand GeneWeb server, homonym, consanguinity.
Use and manage genealogical databases
- Import Gedcom
.gwfiles with gwsetup or in command-line.
- Update datas (add/remove individuals and families), merge duplicates, type dates.
- Use wikitext syntax, macros, keyboard shortcuts.
- Clean, recover, rename, save, archive a database.
- Merge and split multiples databases.
- Personalize CSS, header and trailer, templates, lexicon and declension.
- Configuration file
.gwf(for templm), wizard notes, passwords for friends/wizards and access restrictions to databases.
- Add images in notes, further remarks for experts.