|English • Deutsch • français
- Install the GeneWeb program:
- Data entry and update for:
- Wikitext syntax.
- Writing Macros.
- Using keyboard shortcuts.
- Change the appearance of a base using templates.
- Functional extensions through Plugins.
Use (friend or visitor)
Friends and visitors can only search and read the content of the base. Friends, being authenticated, may have privileges over simple visitors. See password for details.
Entry and navigation into the base is achieved through the following mechanisms:
- the welcome page offering a main search capability and access to tools such as notes, forum, history, dictionaries, ...
- the advanced search page
- the search pop-up triggered by the magnifying glass button in the top right corner
- the menu bar offering access to various pages such as trees, lists, tables, ...
Furthermore, on pages, many items are clickable and allow navigation into the base.
Search with the welcome page
The welcome page being the first entry point into the base, it is worth describing in more details the basic search mechanism it proposes.
Beyond clickable buttons, whose function should be self explanatory, the welcome page offers four data entry lines.
The two first lines allow capture of first_names and surnames, the order in which they are entered being governed by the parameter
welcome_fn_sn in the
The two other lines allow search by title or by domain.
For first_name and surname entry, it is not always necessary to capture them into their respective line. Entering first_name surname into the first line will suffice most of the time, that is when exact matches are found for this combination.
Splitting first_name and surname into each of their entry line is necessary when exact match is not expected, for instance when only one first_name is entered and the target person has multiple first_names.
Examples: Assume that the base contains
- Henri Dupont
- Henri Marie Xavier Dupont
- Henri.1 Dupont
The following will happen:
Henri Dupontinto the first line will yield answers 1 and 3
Henri Marie Xavier Dupontinto the first line will yield answers 2
Henriinto the first line and
Dupontinto the second will yield answers 1, 2 and 3
Henriinto the first line and
Dupontinto the second and checking the "exact" tick mark for first_name will yield answers 1 and 3
Henri Marieinto the first line and
Dupontinto the second will yield answers 2
These rules apply also to the search pop-up appearing when clicking on the magnifying glass at the top right corner (default template only).
Note that when there are more than one entry, a selection list is proposed, and when only one entry is returned, the page for that person is opened. Note also that the first entry line can also be used to enter a Sosa number, a public name or an alias.
When no match is found, GeneWeb tries a last effort by reducing the search entry, and the names in the base through a compression algorithm (crush) and comparing the results. The compression algorithm performs the following:
- suppress vowels
- soppress trailing s
- replace double consons by one conson
- replaces ph by f, k or q by c, z by s
- Import GEDCOM
gwsetupor with terminal commands.
- Merge and split multiple databases.
- Clean, recover, rename (or move), save, and archive a database.
- Understand the
- Understand homonyms (how duplicate names are handled).
- Configure appearance with:
- Configure operations (program actions), with: