|Language:||English • français|
Storage devices are not 100% failsafe, and one should maintain multiple archives on separate devices. It may also be prudent to maintain inetrmediate versions of a base, allowing fallback to an earlier version in case of severe modification problems. Lastly, the .gw save format is a clean and sure mechanism to exchange bases between GeneWeb users (GEDCOM is also available but not with 100% compatibility).
A simple mechanism to archive a base is to make a copy of the
base.gwb folder. A better mechanism is to produce a textual
base.gw file using the .gw format.
To create an archive for base
toto, use the gwu command and archive the resulting output:
gwu toto > toto.gw
Or using option -o for gwu :
gwu toto -o toto.gw
You may select any name of your choice, provided you keep the extension
.gw. For safe archival, make multiple copies of the base.gw file, on multiple devices.
Using the .gw file format has many avantages :
- simpliciy : a single file when the base folder contains multiple files (note forum and update history are not preserved through a .gw file) ;
- economy : a .gw source file is quite smaller that the corresponding folder ;
- compatibiliy : the .gw format maintains compatibility with future versions of GeneWeb ;
- accessibiliy : the .gw is a human readable format, and allows for global editing or difference detection
- (using a command such as
diff base-v1.gw base-v2.gwunder Unix/Linux/OSX)
To restaure base
toto.gw, use the gwc commande:
gwc toto.gw -o toto
In the .gw file created by gwu some orphan information is not saved:
- Isolated persons, that is which have no family and are not part of any family.
- Such persons may appear as witness of another person subsequently deleted.
- A Linked page (created with the WikiText syntax, or with the command
m=NOTES;f=linked_page) will not be saved if it is not referenced in the notes section of a person, or in another linked page.
- should gwu stop with 'Uncaught exception: Invalid_argument("index out of bounds")', add the -mem parameter (seen with 5.02 on ubuntu)